About Us

About The Phoenix Stores Ltd.​

The Phoenix Stores was established in 1902, and after operating for over 100 years, the company is renowned for delivering quality products and outstanding service in a variety of retail divisions.

The Phoenix Stores is comprised of seven major pharmacies across the island: Phoenix Centre Drug Store, Collector’s Hill Apothecary, Paget Pharmacy, Clarendon Pharmacy, Woodbourne Chemist, Dockyard Pharmacy and Warwick Pharmacy as well as seven retail locations including Brown & Co., 59 Front, The Annex Toys, P-Tech, P-Tech Photo Solutions and iClick.

Amongst The Phoenix Stores is a diverse range of products including Health and Beauty, Home Décor, Perfumes and Fragrances, Designer Sunglasses, Fashion Jewellery and Accessories, Consumer Electronics, Photo Development, Toys and Children’s Health and Safety, Souvenirs, Greeting Cards, Party Supplies, Books and Newsstand Publications.

The Phoenix Stores supports several community-based initiatives and local charities with programmes about educational and social development and has provided educational bursaries and scholarships to individuals pursuing degrees in medicine and pharmacy-related fields.

Meet Our Executive Team

The Phoenix Stores

George Grundmuller

President & CEO

Loderika Showers

Senior Financial Controller

Deanne Hart

Head of Marketing

Sidley Carswell Sanna

Executive Assistant

Marty Grandors

General Manager

Sian Bowen

Chief Pharmacist

Mervyn Sirju

IS Manager

Nicole Warren

General Manager

Sarah Jackson

Operations Manager

Todd Martin

General Manager

Our History

1800
Late 1800's Preparing for the millennium
Building Purchased

Phoenix Building on corner of Queen and Reid Streets Hamilton, Bermuda purchased by a Mr. Grantham.

1900
1902
Bermuda Drug Company Ltd

The Phoenix Drug Store was established and opened on November 5th, 1902. It was the first business house to be illuminated by electricity; this was generated by its own plant on the premises. That night the verandahs were ablaze with light -- a strange spectacle in those days of gas and oil illumination. People gathered from miles around to witness what was thought to be another Guy Fawkes display.

1910
1910 Bermuda Drug Company
Bermuda Drug Company Formed

The Bermuda Drug Company was formed with The Phoenix as the flagship of the budding retail business. Principal shareholders being Laurion Conway Trott, Howard Mercer and William James Young.

1914
Rexall Drug Store

The Phoenix became part of the US Rexall Drug Store family. This was surely one of the first franchises in Bermuda.

1920
1922
Bermuda Drug Company

The Bermuda Drug Company Ltd. was formally incorporated into a limited liability company under Bermuda Law and the first Board of Directors was elected on October 30th 1922 and they were

  • Laurion Conway Trott
  • William James Young
  • Howard C. Mercer
  • Francis Aline Young
  • Mabel T. Mercer
  • Frances Jauncey Freeland Trott
  • Miss. N. T. Smith was re-elected auditor.
1928
Clock Purchased

The Famous Phoenix Clock purchased for the sum of five hundred pounds from Duncan McColl Doe, a jeweler from Hamilton. The bill of sale also included numerous other shop fittings. Prior to this purchase the clock had resided on Front Street and on the top of Queen Street.

1930
1932
John Gibson Young

John Gibson Young graduates from the Albany College of Pharmacy as a pharmacist and returns to Bermuda to start working as a Pharmacist at the Phoenix Drug Store.

1933
Bermuda General Agency

Bermuda General Agency (developed as the wholesale arm of the business) sets up business in a building on the corner of Church and Parliament Streets

1935
New Board
 

John Gibson Young and Reid Conway Trott join the Bermuda Drug Company Ltd. Board and the three ladies retired. Frank Titshall was appointed auditor.

1937
Marrage
On October 14th 1937, John Gibson Young, son of founder William James Young, marries Elsie Freeland Trott, daughter of founder, Laurion Conway Trott.
1938
New Generation
Gibson Ward Young born on December 8th 1938
1939
The War
World War II begins. John Gibson Young enters Bermuda Voluntary Rifle Corp finishes as adjutant with the rank of Captain.
1940
1940
The Second Generation
William James Young and Laurion Conway Trott appointed as joint managers of the company. Reid Trott Young born on December 18th 1940.
1945
Benoni Mello and Leon N. Perenchief joined the Board as the number of directors was raised to seven and a fifty-percent stock dividend was declared.
1946

Ewing Trott's services not required after May 31st 1946.

R. Conway Mayor Trott and Laurion Conway Trott resign as employess on June 30th 1946. William James Young resigns August 31st 1946. Howard Mercer resigns as mediator as of August 31st 1946 and is paid the sum of twenty-five pounds. All three individuals paid the sum of seventy-five pounds for a period of two years. Laurion Conway Trott and William James Young remain as directors. John Gibson Young is made General Manager.

L. Mercer Ward replaced Leon N. Perenchief on the Board and Mr. F. W. Williams was appointed auditor.

Wartime supplies commission approached with a review to revising markup percentage

1947

Horace Ward joined the Board in place of Mr. Benoni Mello. Chemists hired at one thousand pounds per annum.

Reid Hall sold to the Trott Family at a price of sixty thousand pounds by a debenture issue at 4% per annum. Sale of Phoenix Building by H. A. & E. Smiths for sixty-two thousand and fifty pounds rejected.

1950
1952
Golden Anniversary
Phoenix Drug Store celebrates its golden anniversary -- offers Velvet ice cream free with every purchase of 10 shillings.
1953

Princess Elizabeth is crowned Queen Elizabeth II following the death of King George VI.

Howard C. Mercer resigns due to ill health and Mr. Henry J. Tucker elected.

The Patio -- Paget purchased from John Ferreira for the sum of two thousand pounds and Paget Pharmacy officially opens.

1955
John Gibson Young becomes President of Bermuda Drug Company
1956
William James Young dies of a massive heart attack and John Gibson Young becomes chairman of the Bermuda Drug Company Ltd.
1957
Benoni Mello resigns from The Phoenix as an employee and as a Director of the Company.
1959
Devon Creamery started jointly owned by Bermuda Drug Company Ltd. and the United States Company, Borden's as partners.
1960
1961
Magazine Distributors established with William Gillis as Manager. Ward Young joins company as Manager, The Annex Toy Store.
1962
60th Anniversary
Phoenix Stores Ltd. Celebrates 60th anniversary - offers quart of Bordens ice cream free with every purchase of one pound.
1963

New retail shop in Bermudiana Building opened to showcase paperbacks and magazines. The Bookmart was born, rental at 125.00 UK pounds per month.

Board elected. John Gibson Young (chairman), Sir Henry Tucker, R. Conway Mayor Trott, Leon N. Perenchief and Horace E. Ward.

1964

Devon Creamery amalgamated with Bermuda Creameries.

Reid Young joins as Manager of the Phoenix Stores.

1965
New Bermuda General Agency building is started on Par la Ville Road. Carr Construction the contractors at a price of UK pounds 53,115.8.0.
1966

Plaza Drug Store in Piggly Wiggly Plaza opened in Somerset, not doing well. Devon Creamery plant written off as it was not large enough to sustain growth.

Bermudiana (Hotel) Lobby Shop opened.

Gibson Ward Young and Mary Aline Tucker elected to Bermuda Drug Company Limited Board of Directors. Ronald W. Climenhaga attends as controller, Charles Kempe elected as auditor.

Reid Trott Young elected to Board in place of Mary Aline Tucker.

Woodbourne Chemist opened.

1968
Heyl Building sold for UK pounds 100,000 to Mr. Arthur Gurr.
1970
1970
The New Dollar

Bermuda leaves sterling area and the dollar becomes the currency.

Horace Ward retires from the Board of Directors and as General Manager of Bermuda General Agency.
Ward Young moves in as General Manager of Bermuda General Agency.

1972

R. Conway Mayor Trott dies suddenly of a heart attack on April 2nd 1972 having been a director of the company since October 1935. Bermuda Drug Company Limited celebrates 70 years.

McDonalds and Bermuda Drug Company Limited in active discussions over franchise. Lease secured for property owned by Walter Cardie Bluck estate on present site of Bank of Bermuda Compass Point Building.

1974

Cummings Vail Zuill joins the Bermuda Drug Company Ltd. Board of Directors.

Douglas Sellars joins as Controller replacing Martin Clarkson.

1975

Collectors Hill Apothecary opens in Smith's Parish on site of Knick Knack Shop.

The Arches Dispensary opens.

Leon Norton Perenchief dies after fifty-three years of service.

1975

Collectors Hill Apothecary opens in Smith's Parish on site of Knick Knack Shop.

The Arches Dispensary opens.

Leon Norton Perenchief dies after fifty-three years of service.

1977

St. George's Druggist opens as the newest Phoenix Store

1979
Reid Hall purchased for $950,000 from the Trott family
1980
1980

BPSA recognized as bargaining unit for Bermuda Drug Company Ltd. pharmacists.

1982

Bermuda Pharmacy Limited purchased from William McPhee. This included Eve-McPhee Ltd.

Bermudiana Lobby Shop sold.

Princess Shop and mall shop closed.

1985

Ward Young elected President and CEO of Bermuda Drug Company Ltd.

1986
Douglas Sellars dies suddenly on an Alaskan cruise of a massive heart attack. Louis F. Fourie installed as controller.
1987
Phoenix Stores Ltd. computerizes the dispensing system.
1988
BDC LTD

Bermuda Drug Company Ltd. changes its name to BDC LTD.

Shelly Bay property known as the Stables purchased from Charles Marshall for $1,800,000 and was earmarked for a new warehouse for Bermuda General Agency. BGA building sold to the Bank of Bermuda Ltd. for $2,500,000.

Rural Hill Plaza Ltd. and Reid Hall Limited incorporated for the purpose of the development of the land currently used of Paget Pharmacy and the Annex. Rural Hill Plaza construction started using the Gilbert Lopes Construction company.

1989
Rural Hill completed as Old Phoenix Building construction started.
1990
1990

Old Phoenix Building renovated and bottom floor rented to Aston and Gunn owned by TESS Ltd.

Reid Hall completed in March 1990.

Phoenix Clock moved to Reid Street location on Sunday, March 4th 1990. Time capsule located under clock for reopening in the year 2040.

Scanning introduced at Phoenix Stores.

1991
BDC LTD. through its subsidiary Bermuda General Agency acquires Weldon Limited from the Dallas family and formally enters the grocery business with the acquisition of lines such as Heinz, Eveready, First Brands (Glad), Borden's and Oscar Meyer.
1992

BDC LTD. purchases all the operations of Purvis Distributors Limited including the Mill Creek facility for the value of inventory and a goodwill figure of sales, solidifying its presence in the grocery business with grade A lines such as Procter and Gamble, Clorox, Kelloggs, Hunt-Wesson, Cadburys, Dole, etc.

Cris Valdes-Dapena appointed Director and Controller on June 10th 1992. Louie Fourie returns to Canada.

1994

Fernance B. Perry invests in BDC LTD. and joins Board providing much needed capital.

Robert D. Skelley hired as Chief Operations Manager of the Bermuda General Agency as the name is changed to the BGA Group of Companies.

Raymond Brackstone and Ian F. T. Kennedy join Board of Directors.

James P. Campbell installed as Controller BDC LTD.

BGA Group divest themselves of food service and frozen lines.

Rob Skelley was promoted to President and CEO of the BGA Group of Companies.

1996

Ward Young takes over as President and CEO of BDC Ltd. As Mr. John Gibson Young steps down as Chairman.

John Gibson Young resigns as Chairman and Director after a long illness.

Ian F. T. Kennedy resigns as Director.

Fernance B. Perry elected as Chairman of BDC LTD.

Reid Trott Young resigns as Director and President of Phoenix Stores Limited as of July 1st, 1996 and Ward Young purchases his shareholding to become the single largest shareholder of BDC LTD. Linda Young resigns as Manager of the Bookmart.

Laurion Trott McGehee, grandson of Laurion Conway Trott and Manager Phoenix Stores Limited, resigns to move to the United States.

Edmina Bradshaw installed as Manager Phoenix Centre. Kim Young, wife of Ward Young, joins as Bookmart Manager.

Stephen H. R. Young, son of Reid T. Young leaves BDC LTD. to enter offshore field.

Portion of Mills Creek Facility sold to Clermont Investments.

1997

Phoenix Drug Store undergoes massive refit as Hallmark Card section moved upstairs to make way for better layout on main floor.

On June 27th, BDC LTD. purchases Fernance B. Perry (Mayfair Ltd.) shareholding and Ward Young becomes majority shareholder of BDC LTD.

Lady Swan, Carol West, Susan D. Wilson and Bruce Gordon elected to the BDC LTD. Board.

Edmina Bradshaw resigned.

Kim Young elected to House of Parliament as MP for Paget East.

George Grundmüller, Vice President, BGA Group of Companies appointed as President & CEO of Phoenix Stores Ltd.

1998

Kim Young elected to House of Parliament as MP for Paget East.

John Gibson Young reopens Collectors Hill Apothecary after the store undergoes massive refit.

Phoenix Stores installs state of the art pharmacy computer system.

"Charge it 'n fly" programme introduced offering customers one American Airlines® AAdvantage Mile for every dollar charged to the Phoenix Charge Card.

John Gibson Young, JP, former Chairman and Director of BDC Ltd., passes away. He was much respected in the community and much loved by his BDC family.

1999
Bermuda Pharmacy moved from Church Street, next to the Bus Depot to, the new Waterfront on Pitt's Bay Road.
2000
2000
BDC2000

Ward Young purchases Clarendon Pharmacy and Warehouse from the shareholders and the family of the late Mr. Nigel Price.

Bermuda Pharmacy on Pitt's Bay Road closes.

Annex Toys launches "Baby Zone" to expand their product line of developmental toys, cribs, strollers and carseats for newborns to 36 months.

Phoenix Group and the BGA Group of Companies changes hands. Ward Young, President of BDC LTD announced the purchase of BDC2000 (which holds the two companies) by C.T. Famous Ltd., owned by Wendall Brown. The transaction was structured and financed by The Bank of N.T. Butterfield & Son Limited.

Phoenix Stores Ltd., purchases Point Finger Road Pharmacy from Dr. Wong of the Medical Centre.

2002

1902 - 2002: 100 years of caring for Bermuda! As we proudly celebrate our Centennial this November, Phoenix goes boldly towards the future with a nod to the past. Our comprehensive history gives us the confidence to strive to be the very best at what we do - as well as the humility that comes with knowing that we can always do better.

For 100 years Phoenix Stores Ltd., has kept pace with Bermuda’s development by expanding our services and our stores to meet your needs. With a flagship store in the very heart of Hamilton and 5 outlying stores it means always being ready to serve our valued customers in any one of our locations – always prepared to provide service and caring 7 days a week. Our dedicated staff and professional group of pharmacists aim to exceed your expectations when shopping at the Phoenix.

2006
Launched P-Tech, the Islands' leading consumer electronics and photo development.